Welcome to the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI) seeks to foster an inclusive learning and work environment that promotes an understanding of, and appreciation for, difference through initiatives, programs, and training. This site is both reflective and forward facing as it relates to our efforts and serves as an informational tool, while also providing insight into the future of DEI at Empire State University.
The website includes updated information and new features, including:
- Programs and Initiatives
- Data & Reports
If you are looking for something and can't find it, please contact the ODEI team so we can continue to improve these webpages, which serve as online resource for all.
SUNY Empire supports the development, promotion, and implementation of policies, practices, and academic programs dedicated to creating a community that is favorable to the development of the human potential of all students, faculty, staff, and administrators. As a diverse community of learners and leaders, SUNY Empire respects all aspects of human difference, including but not limited to age, disability, race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression and identity, language heritage, learning style, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, status as a veteran and worldview.
All members of the SUNY Empire community must respect federal and state laws and SUNY policies regarding discrimination on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or marital or veteran status. SUNY Empire’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts will focus on compliance and equity of services and will implement professional-development programs and strategies to promote cultural competency and diversity awareness.
SUNY Empire aspires to become a national leader in higher education. To achieve this, we are committed to embracing diversity as an integral component of quality academic and social experiences that prepare students for success in an increasingly multicultural, multiracial, and multilingual society. SUNY Empire's diversity, equity and inclusion efforts strengthen its capacity to create the highest quality educational experience for our students who represent the rich array of human and intellectual diversity that is the hallmark of New York state. By fully embracing a commitment to serving New York state's diverse population, SUNY Empire is committed to demonstrating leadership through programs, policies, and practices that promote diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of its mission and work.
The CDO for institutional equity and inclusion is a resource to SUNY Empire faculty, staff, and students and is charged with promoting and furthering the institution's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The following values hold true to SUNY Empire's vision, shape how we carry out our mission, and guide how we are expected to treat one another:
- We take the broadest possible view of diversity, including seen and unseen qualities.
- We acknowledge life experiences that make individuals unique.
- We expect our workplace to be an inclusive environment built on mutual trust, respect, and dignity.
- We pledge to identify and eliminate barriers to equal opportunity in the workplace.
- We commit to build equal educational opportunities.
- We commit to foster equitable employment and educational practices.
- We offer meaningful academic and intellectual inclusion in curriculum, research, and service.
- We will create support systems that facilitate the utilization of all segments of New York State's diverse communities.
- We will serve New York State residents including those living in underserved areas, people from populations that are underserved in higher education, and students who have experienced educational and economic challenges.