Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Training with Technology
This graduate certificate is designed to serve K-12 teachers and instructors in higher education who have an immediate need to retool their skills and theoretical understandings of how new media tools can enhance students’ learning experiences, and how pedagogical approaches need to be adjusted in response. This certificate addresses the increasing need in many school and workplace settings to better prepare staff and professionals at all levels to create technologically enhanced learning opportunities. (Please note: Prior to Fall 2023 this certificate was offered under the title Teaching and Learning with Emerging Technologies.)
Courses are taught online and students may begin the certificate program in the fall or spring terms.
Required Courses and Suggested Sequence
- EDET 6005 Learning with Emerging Technologies: Theory & Practice (3 Credits)
- EDET 6010 Media Literacies in Emerging Technologies (3 Credits)
- EDET 6015 Instructional Design for Online Learning Environments (3 Credits)
- EDET 6025 Assessing Learning in Digital Environments (3 credits)
- EDET 6130 Facilitating Learning with Emerging Technologies in Blended & Online Environments (3 Credits)
As of Fall 2023, students may take the following courses in place of EDET 6010 to satisfy this program's requirements:
- EDET 6045 Digital Games, Simulations, and Learning (3 credits), or
- EDET 6035 Advanced Instructional Design and Multimedia (3 credits)
For detailed information about our courses, please browse our catalog under Search Courses.
Admission and Advisement
Admission to the certificate program requires the applicant to submit an official transcript of his or her bachelor’s degree, along with a completed application. Advising will be provided by faculty in the Educational Technology and Learning Design program.
While the 15 credits are fully transferable into the M.A. in Educational Technology and Learning Design*, acceptance to the master’s degree will require candidates to apply to the program and complete the full admission process. Completion of the graduate certificate does not guarantee admission to the master’s degree program.
Advanced certificates may be incorporated into a related master's degree for those meeting the program admission requirements. Students must apply separately to the certificate program.
Please note: This certificate is not a New York State teaching certificate.
*As of Fall 2023 the MA in Learning and Emerging Technologies will be offered under the new title of MA in Education Technology and Learning Design.
Tuition and Fees
Students completing this certificate pay the following tuition and fees:
- New York State Resident
- Out-of-State Resident
- Military and Veteran Tuition and Fees for non-MBA Programs
Federal financial aid is not available unless concurrently matriculated in a master’s degree program.