The Empire State University Academic Support team is here to help you successfully complete your courses and develop your academic skills. You will find a broad range of academic support programs, services and resources in a variety of learning modes including online, phone, and in-person at select locations. All are free of charge and the selection of available resources is always growing.
JumpStart Your Empire State University Success Story
Academic support begins right away at Empire State University. Within the first two weeks of your first term, JumpStart events are held online and at select locations. to help you with the transition to the university and our modes of study. JumpStart events include multiple workshops and drop-in hours on topics you need to know for a successful start to the term, some of which are Mastering BrightSpace; Reading Strategies; and Balancing School, Family and Work.
Tutoring on Your Schedule
Tutoring and academic coaching are available 24/7 for undergraduate and graduate students. While tutoring is available in a broad range of subjects, the most commonly requested areas are writing, math, accounting, and general study skills, such as time management. Individual sessions are customized to your needs, and small group sessions may be linked to your specific courses. Available options are listed below.
- SUNY Empire Professional Learning Coaches, available online, by phone, and at select locations
- 24/7 Online Tutoring with on-demand service
- Peer Tutors, available online
For more information on scheduling a tutoring appointment, current students should visit MySUNYEmpire Academic Support.
Online Resources to Improve Your Assignments
Sometimes all you need is a quick tool or tip to help you complete your assignment:
- Visit the Library to connect with a librarian, search for sources, attend an at-home library workshop and more.
- Use the Assignment Calculator to help plan your time and find resources for writing assignments.
- Check out the Thesis Generator to help you get started with your papers.
- View these quick videos for tips and strategies for college writing, reading and math.
- View writing resources for answers to commonly asked questions.
- Explore resources on a wide range of study skills (academic reading, note-taking systems, time management, etc.).
Academic Skills Workshops to Support Your Success
Sometimes you need a quick skills refresher. Other times, you need to learn something for the first time. With more than 80 live, online workshops each major term, there is something for everyone who comes to Empire State University. Multiple workshops are offered in each of the following categories:
- Balancing School, Work, and Family
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Writing College Papers (research papers, essays, etc.)
- Avoiding Plagiarism
- College Reading Strategies
- Managing Your Mindset
- Completing your Assignments using Word and Excel
Current students should visit MySUNYEmpire Academic Support for our workshop list and registration link.
An Online Library that is Always Open
The library is an important part of the academic experience, and the librarians at Empire State University are an excellent resource. And the online library is always open.
- Visit the university's online library
- Learn search strategies and techniques
- Learn about academic integrity and avoiding plagiarism
- Take part in an "@ Home" Live Library Workshop
Technology for University and Career Success
In today’s university and work environments, you will be expected to have a broad range of technology skills to manage information. The number of online skills needed can feel overwhelming, and we're here to help. Empire State University offers training and resources to support your success in online learning and information management.
- Online sessions to help you navigate your online course space, Brightspace, or Blackboard
- SUNY Empire learning coaches (professional tutors) and peer tutors to help you learn Office 365 programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MS Teams, etc.)
For answers to questions or additional information regarding available services, email Academic.Support@sunyempire.edu.
Find a Tutor
SUNY Empire State College (SUNY Empire) provides a variety of free tutoring services for enrolled students. Click on any option below to learn more.
SUNY Empire Learning Coaches (Professional Tutors)
Learning coaches are professional staff (employees of the College) who coach and tutor both undergraduate and graduate students. Coaches are available online and onsite in selected locations.
SUNY Empire Learning Coaches:
- Assist with all types of writing assignments, including the Rationale Essay and Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) essays.
- Tutor math, statistics, and accounting.
- Coach study skills, including time management and reading strategies.
- Offer one-on-one sessions up to 50 minutes and customized to your needs.
If you prefer not to use self-service scheduling, you may submit a request to have an appointment scheduled for you through this form Learning Coach/Tutoring Request.
If you have problems with scheduling or general questions, please email email@example.com
SUNY Empire Peer Tutors
Peer Tutors are current undergraduate students or alumni who:
- Tutor specific SUNY Empire courses which they have passed with B+ or above.
- Are recommended by a faculty member who teaches the course.
- Are available online or by phone.
To find out if an undergraduate peer tutor is available for your course, please fill out this short form Learning Coach/Tutoring Request. Please note, peer tutors are for undergraduate courses only at this time. You must be logged into MyESC in order to access the form.
If you have problems with the form or general questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, Peer Tutors are not available for paper review. Please use SUNY Empire State College Learning Coaches or TutorMe for paper review.
SUNY Empire Learning Coaches are the first stop for your tutoring needs. However, SUNY Empire provides two hours per week of free tutoring with TutorMe, a 24/7 supplemental service. TutorMe offers tutoring in a broad range of subject areas at hours when SUNY Empire State learning coaches are not available. Your weekly two-hour limit resets every Monday at 2:59AM EST. Access to TutorMe is on a desktop, laptop, or tablet. (Currently, TutorMe is not available on a mobile device.)
TutorMe offers the following:
- 24/7 on-demand, live tutoring in 300+ subjects.
- Interactive lesson space with audio and video available in all subjects and sessions.
- Submit-a-paper service with feedback provided in less than 12 hours.
Sign into TutorMe with your College log-in.
If you have questions about TutorMe, please email email@example.com