RN to MSN
The Empire State University School of Nursing and Allied Health offers a multi-award BS in Nursing and MS in Nursing degree.
This degree program prepares graduates for practice in complex and evolving healthcare environments. The academic content focuses on achieving core competencies identified by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (2021) and National Academy of Medicine (2021) for nurses to reduce health disparities, achieve health equity, and promote wellbeing.
In this program, students earn both a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing and a Master of Science degree in Nursing Education or Nursing Administration.
This flexible, comprehensive, and evidence-based program is designed for part-time study and can be completed in three to four years depending on specialization. Empire State University has an established infrastructure for distance education which supports this fully online program. Students complete their clinical practicum experiences in their local communities.
Highlights of this program include:
- Innovative program design is 57- 60 total credits and reduces time to degree completion by combining the baccalaureate and master’s program. This program reduces overall credit load by 16-19 credits, saving students time and money.
- Online and technology enabled format of the program provides working nurses opportunities to balance work, life, and academic demands.
- Ideal for students who need part-time study.
To be considered for admission to the RN to MS in Nursing program, students must:
- Have an associate degree from an accredited nursing program with a minimum 3.2 GPA
- Possess an active, unencumbered NYS registered nurse license
- One year working experience as a registered nurse
- Be able to pursue college-level work (as evidenced by essay)
- Demonstrate capacity to develop graduate level academic skills
The nursing program gives preference in the admission decision to candidates residing within New York state.
2. Application Requirements
To apply for the RN to MS in Nursing degree program, you must submit:
- An online application and a 500-word essay. Guidelines are provided in the online application.
- An official transcript sent directly from the institution where you earned your A.A.S degree or diploma
- One letter of recommendation from current supervisor
- Copy of an active, unencumbered NYS registered nurse license
- Show completion of an associate degree in nursing with a minimum 3.2 GPA
3. Terms of Study
- The combined RN-MS in Nursing degree program is designed to be completed within four years. It is expected that students will progress through the program by completing 6-8 credits per term for the fall and spring terms, and 3-4 credits per summer term.
- Students must have an overall GPA of 3.2 and must successfully complete 140-143 credits for the RN-MS in Nursing degree program.
Students will be awarded the BSN and the MS in Nursing degree at the completion all degree requirements.
We’re here to help.
SUNY Empire’s School of Nursing and Allied Health is ready to assist you with planning your degree program and keeping you on track.800-847-3000