Resources for Faculty and Students
Empire State University students can incorporate internships into their university degree program plan. An internship is a way to connect professional experience with personal learning goals.
Students may apply for formal internship programs established by the local, state and national governments, as well as by corporations, nonprofit organizations and universities.
Internships should be substantive learning experiences that help students develop their skills as they relate to their degree plan and career goals.
Thinking about an internship?
Please review the following eligibility requirements, documentation needed and the suggested timeline located below.
The following documentation will need to be completed prior to starting an internship:
- Learning contract developed with faculty or mentor
- Completed internship registration form
- Offer letter, which includes an overview of the internship expectations, responsibilities, projects, and agreed-upon hours
- Affiliation agreement/certificate of liability insurance. Please contact Anita.Brown@sunyempire.edu for paperwork regarding the affiliation agreement. She will coordinate obtaining the certificate of liability insurance.
- Students planning on participating in an internship should begin discussion with their primary mentor the term before to arrange for the internship.
- Students should register no later than the second week of registration.
Find Internship Opportunities
- Faculty/mentor connections
- SUNY Empire uses Handshake* as its official job resource center. The services are available 24/7 to students, alumni, and employers at https://esc.joinhandshake.com.
- New New York Leaders - internships within New York state government
- Additional job search resources
- Personal connections
*as of July 1, 2022. Student launch July 20, 2022.
Once an internship is completed, the following forms must be filled out:
- Feedback on the student (completed by the employer)
- Feedback on the employer (completed by the student)
We’re here to help.
Empire State University's 1Stop Student Services is a partner in your successful student experience. Visit www.sunyempire.edu/1stop or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 2285