Personal Student Support
SUNY Empire State University recognizes students may experience times of food insecurity, housing issues, homelessness, mental health challenges, or accessing state/federal services. To create a path for success outside your studies, we have staff to connect and discuss possible options you have in your community.
Below you will find a list of services to support students;
SUNY Empire has staff to support you when you need assistance addressing needs around food, housing, mental health, and a variety of other resources. If you would like to discuss options with the basic needs coordinator, email email@example.com to schedule an appointment today
SUNY Empire has partnered with CashCourse, a guide to making informed financial decisions. CashCourse offers a self-paced course to learn more about your earnings, spending, and borrowing. To access your free account, visit Create a CashCourse Login page and select create a free account. Select New York State and SUNY Empire State University, and you are on your way to better financial education!
We have partnered with TELUS Health Student Support for all mental wellness services at SUNY Empire. Your health and wellness fee pays for these services; all calls, chats, and conversations are confidential. So don’t hesitate to reach out today!
For Immediate Support:
Support when you need it the most!
TELUS Health Student Support connects you to credentialed, Masters-level counselors to help you successfully navigate cultural, physical, and mental health challenges. You can receive the help you need in your own native language and cultural context, whether they’re at home, at one of our locations, or abroad.
Available when you need it!
Short-term counseling options are available all day, every day, to provide you with access to qualified counselors in the early morning before work, during your lunch break, or after you have settled the kids in for the evening. Any options, any time, and services available at your fingertips!
- Telephone support 24/7: Speak to an experienced counselor with a simple phone call
- Real-time chat support 24/7: Chat with an experienced counselor on the web or the app at your convenience.
- Short-Term Appointments: Schedule an appointment-based support to connect with the same counselor over multiple sessions via telephone or video appointments (limited to 5 sessions total).
And a whole lot more…
- Health assessments: Complete an anonymous assessment to get feedback on your mental health
- Browse health & wellbeing content: Access articles, podcasts, infographics, and videos on the app addressing a wide variety of wellbeing topics
- Access virtual fitness sessions: Free virtual fitness sessions available through LIFT
- Resource Referral: Free resource referrals to community specialists
SUNY Empire has provided all available funds to students, and we are no longer taking new applications at this time.
SUNY Empire recognizes that our students have temporary setbacks or face emergencies that can devastate their educational goals. In a partnership with the SUNY Empire State University Foundation and the Ichigo Foundation, SUNY Empire can provide one-time basic need emergency grants to students in need. Students should apply if they meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in at least one credit and matriculated in a SUNY Empire degree program.
- Demonstrate immediate financial need
- Have not exhausted available financial aid grants
- Havenot received a previous grant from the emergency student grant fund
Grants cannot exceed $250 per student and must be used for one or more of the following categories:
- Urgent need for food or groceries
- Critical past due partial rent/mortgage payments
- Emergency housing or hotel
- Child care
- Mental health provider co-pay or sliding scale fee for self
- Needs related to personal safety (domestic violence or similar)
- Transportation (public transportation, fuel, or car repair)
- Critical past due utility payments (electrical, natural gas, or internet)
- Medications and other costs related to emergent medical care
To be considered for a one-time basic needs grant, students must complete the One Time Basic Needs Emergency Grant Application. Once the application is submitted, a committee will review the responses and return a decision within five business days of receiving the application. Students should thoroughly describe their needs to be considered for funding. Due to limited funds, not all applications will receive funding. These grants do not have to be repaid and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all funds are given away.
Any additional questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
An All-in-one Benefits Screener and Local Basic Needs Resource Tool. Single Stop and SUNY Empire have partnered to bring 24/7 access to basic needs resources to your fingertips. Once on the Single Stop, press the big green "Let’s Get Started!" button to start a series of questions to determine what federal, state, and local benefits you may qualify for.
Need to find local resources in NY that may help with housing, food, immigration, transportation, and work resources, check out the Single Stop Resource Tool!
The resources provided above offer personal support outside of your academics. However, if you have questions about how a situation relates to your academics, please visit our Student Services Contact page. We have staff to support you with
- individualized coaching and engagement opportunities
- appeals, grievances, and reinstatements
- tutoring, academic workshops, skills development
- accessibility and accommodations