Laptop Loan Program
Technology can be expensive, and not every student has the extra funds to purchase a new computer. We have laptops we can loan to students during their time at SUNY Empire. These laptops are good quality and reliable, so you'll have the technology to complete your assignments.
You can request, renew, and return a laptop using the link below and completing a brief application. (SUNY Empire login required).
If you have questions, email LaptopLoans@sunyempire.edu.
Laptop Request Form (link opens in new window)
Laptop Loans: Frequently Asked Questions
All degree-seeking students enrolled in an upcoming term are eligible. Priority is given to a student who:
- Has a low expected family contribution (EFC) or low adjusted gross income (AGI) as established by the FAFSA process,
- Receives a PELL or TAP grant
- Is a member of an opportunity program at SUNY Empire
We provide laptops that have similar specifications to those listed below:
- 15” monitor
- Windows 10 or Windows 11
- Camera, mic, and speaker
- 256GB Solid State Drive (m.2)
- 8 GB RAM
- 5-8365U CPU with integrated graphics
- No DVD/CD
The laptops are treated as personal technology. Anything not listed above is the responsibility of the student, including external mice, headphones, and DVD/CD players.
There is no tracking software installed on these laptops. Upon return, the university wipes all data and resets it to default factory settings before loaning it again.
Please Note: If a student is found in violation of Empire State University's code of conduct/policies or New York State (NYS) technology policies and the vice provost for student success or the executive director of university student services determines that a violation of the student conduct policy and/or violation of NYS policy (with link to specific policy) has occurred, then the executive director of university student services may request the laptop be returned to Empire State University and data may be reviewed.
All applicants will be notified of their status by student email within 7 to 10 days of application submission.
It will take 3-5 business days to arrive after notice to recipient that the laptop has been shipped.
Yes, laptops are wiped down with sanitizing wipes prior to being boxed and shipped.
Empire State University pays for the shipping of the laptops to and from the student. Please KEEP all original packaging for the return shipment.
Laptops will come with factory default settings, and we suggest setting up your laptop with your SUNY Empire email credentials.
Once your first term begins, you will have access to download Microsoft Office 365 applications. Details on how to set up the laptop and download Office 365 are included inside the laptop.
If you are a first-term student, you will receive access to your
- email account upon acceptance to SUNY Empire, and
- Microsoft Office 365 license on the first day of your first term. The Office 365 license provides you access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other very useful tools to help you succeed at SUNY Empire!
The laptops are not available for purchase.
Yes, the loans are on a term to term basis.
Important: Please KEEP all original packaging for the return shipment.
The university will send students a shipping label to put on the original box. Students must get the package to FedEx.
When you finish your last class, visit this link and choose the "return" option in the form.
The university will be in touch with you via email to your Empire State University email address to confirm.
If you need accommodations due to a disability, or if you are unsure whether or not you qualify for disability services from the university, please contact the Office of Accessibility Resources & Services at email@example.com
Yes, laptops are renewed on a term to term basis. If you would like to Renew your contract for another term, follow this link (laptop renewal link opens in a new window) and select “Renew” in the form.
Prepare the Box
Locate the box and make sure original paperwork for the laptop are included in the box.
If you do not have the box, you will need to purchase another box, designed for shipping laptops.
Prepare the Laptop for Return
Wipe the unit down to remove any fingerprints, etc. We recommend using a paper towel or wipe. Avoid getting liquid inside the computer. Avoid spraying anything directly on the computer.
Don’t forget it; we need it!
- We do not have extra chargers; therefore, the charger is critical for the operation of the unit.
- If you lost the charger, you will need to replace it. To know which charger to replace with, you will need to look online, identifying the specific model of laptop, to ensure the correct charger. The model information is on the underside of the laptop.
- When you get the return label, place it on top of the original shipping label on the original box.
- Place the laptop in the box, securing it with the packing materials.
- Include the charger and cords.
- One strip of packaging tape across the opening of the box will suffice. There is no need for excessive tape.
- Drop the shipping box off with FedEx.
Factory Reset of the Laptop
- We will perform a factory reset of the laptop when we receive it.
All participants must read the Student Conduct Code and the Computer Use Agreement and acknowledge that the university can require the return of the laptop at any time if there is a violation, and that the student must comply.
If a student is found in violation of the Empire State University code of conduct/policies or New York state technology policies, and the vice provost for student success determines that a violation of the student conduct policy and/or violation of NYS policy (with link to specific policy) has occurred, then the university will request the laptop be returned and data may be reviewed.