Morton Bahr Distance Learning Scholarship
The late Morton Bahr ’83, ’95 was recognized as one of the world's most influential union leaders and was especially noted for groundbreaking leadership on worker education issues.
He was the labor movement's leading expert on technology and information-based industries.
The scholarship, created in the name of Empire State University alumnus Morton Bahr, assists union members and other workers by advancing their educational goals and enhancing educational access through distance learning.
Who can apply for the scholarship?
The Morton Bahr Distance Learning Scholarship is available to individuals pursuing an undergraduate degree at Empire State University.
Union workers, family members and/or domestic partners interested in registering for undergraduate degree (associates or bachelor's) studies with Empire State University may apply.
Potential scholars interested in applying should send in their applications prior to June 30.
What does the scholarship cover?
Scholarship awards will fully cover tuition and fees.
Students in the program will be eligible for scholarship funding for one or two courses per term, for a maximum of 8 credits. They will continue to receive scholarship funding as long as they maintain satisfactory academic progress.
Once enrolled as a Bahr scholar, students also must apply for other federal, state, corporate or union financial aid for which they may be eligible.
How do I apply?
- Read more about the Morton Bahr Scholarship Program application essays.
- Submit an online application through www.sunyempire.edu/FAST, SUNY Empire's scholarship application portal.
- Submit the General Application first, then you will be able to access the supplemental essays for the Bahr Scholarship.
Questions? Call 800-847-3000, ext. 2769 or email Scholarships@sunyempire.edu.
How can I support the scholarship?
- Make a gift to the Morton Bahr Scholarship fund online; indicate "Bahr Scholarship" in the comment field.
- Gifts can also be mailed to the SUNY Empire Foundation, attn: Bahr Scholarship, 28 Union Avenue, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.
We are always happy to hear from alumni, students and other friends of the university.
For general inquiries, dial extension 2248.
Our fax number is (518) 580-0700.