Empire State University has a longstanding partnership with the Army to provide accessible and affordable degree options to our service members. Students can choose from a wide selection of degrees offered at any of our New York state locations and/or online through SUNY Empire Online.
On this page:
To view the list of available associate and bachelor's degrees, including detailed degree road maps, go to ArmyIgnitED
We are also partners with the College of the American Soldier to offer bachelor's degrees in the Career Non-Commissioned Officers (NCO) program. Go to ArmyIgnitED and choose "College of the American Soldier" to view the degrees offered.
To view our graduate degree offerings, visit the Empire State University School for Graduate Studies.
Apply and/or Enroll:
Active-duty Army and activated Army National Guard and reservists are required to apply and enroll through the portal at ArmyIgnitED. Every member of the US Army should contact their Education Counselor before beginning any educational opportunity.
Inactive Guard may apply to and enroll in Empire State University using the university's normal application and enrollment procedures. Please see the applicable page to apply for undergraduate study or graduate study.
Empire State University has two LOI designations in the portal:
1. Empire State University - Online (Not Graduate Programs):
To study online through SUNY Empire Online: Go to ArmyIgnitED and select Empire State University – Empire State University - Online (Not Graduate Programs) as your home institution.
2. Empire State University - All Campus Based - Ft. Drum and Graduate Programs:
To study at Fort Drum, or any of our 35 locations, as well as the Graduate Program: Go to ArmyIgnitED and select Empire State University - All Campus Based - Ft. Drum and Graduate Programs as your home institution.
Receive Up-Front Tuition Assistance:
In order to receive up-front tuition assistance, active-duty Army and activated Army National Guard and reservists are required to apply and enroll through the portal at ArmyIgnitED. Effective March 2021, inactive reservists also have been required to apply and enroll through the portal. Inactive Army National Guard students receive tuition assistance from the state and, therefore, can apply and enroll directly through the center of their choice.
To access your Army Tuition Assistance, please follow the steps listed below:
New to ArmyIgnitED:
- Go to ArmyIgnitED, click on the "Register/Activate your account in "ArmyIgnitED" and enter your SSN and DOB.
- Click "Request TA" and complete the following steps:
- View page verifying you're eligible for TA benefits
- View and acknowledge training
- Print Statement of Understanding (SOU); must be signed by your commander; scan signed form and upload to your ArmyIginitED e-file (click "My Education Record", then "eFile" tab)
- Choose home college and degree plan (enter "Empire State University - Online (not Graduate Programs)" or "Empire State College - All Campus Based - Ft. Drum and Graduate Programs" as your home college. Enter a degree, select "Other" if you are unsure or your choice is not on the list)
- Complete the Common Application
- Submit the request for approval.
Already have an existing ArmyIgnitED account:
- Have your Army Education Counselor enter "Empire State University - Online (Not Graduate Programs)" or Empire State University - All Campus Based - Ft. Drum and Graduate Programs" as your home college in the portal.
- Have your Army Education Counselor enter a degree through ArmyIgnitED portal. Select "Other" if you are unsure or your choice is not on the list.
Contact the Office of Veteran and Military Education at 800-867-5941, 518-587-2100, ext. 2779, or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or questions regarding the ArmyIgnitED portal process.