Practice Exercises: Writing, Reading, Grammar
Practice exercises to review what you have learned and identify any areas that need more focus.
Research Writing Exercises
- Exercise: Can the topic be researched?
- Exercise: Is the research question too broad or too narrow?
- Worksheet: Evaluate your own research question
- Exercise: Choose the best research thesis
- Exercise: Evaluating sources
- Exercise : Distinguish between summaries and paraphrases
Critical Reading Exercises
- Worksheet: Exercise for while you read
- Worksheet: Authority of the writer
- Worksheet: Logic of the writer's argument
- Worksheet: How the writer gets your interest
- Worksheet: Writer's use of language and style
- Worksheet: Ideology that informs the text
- Worksheet: Examining your reactions
- Exercise 1a: Basic noun-verb agreement
- Exercise 1b: Advanced noun-verb agreement
- Exercise 2a: Basic agreement with trick singulars
- Exercise 2b: Advanced agreement with trick singulars
- Exercise 3: Agreement when words come between the noun and verb
- Exercise 4: Noun-pronoun agreement
- Exercise 1: The difference between primary and secondary sources
- Exercise 2: Sample search
- Exercise 3: Documenting within the paper - MLA
- Exercise 4: Documenting within the paper - APA
- Exercise 5: Documenting within the paper - Turabian
- Exercise 6: Documenting at end of paper - MLA
- Exercise 7: Documenting at end of paper - APA
- Exercise 8: Documenting at end of paper - Turabian
- Exercise 9: Where to document
If you would like assistance with any type of writing assignment, learning coaches are available to assist you. Please contact Academic Support by emailing Academic.Support@sunyempire.edu.
Questions or feedback about SUNY Empire's Writing Support?
Contact us at Academic.Support@sunyempire.edu.