The University Council
Watch Council Meeting Live
August 25, 2023
About the University Council
The University Council:
- Provides advice to the president and university administration
- Represents the State of New York and its taxpayers in affirming that the university is fulfilling its public mission
- Receives information about university programs, budgets, enrollments, facilities and student learning
Council members are appointed by the governor and serve seven-year terms. One member is a student at Empire State University, is recommended by faculty and staff, and serves on a rotating basis.
The statutory areas of responsibility entrusted by the trustees of the State University of New York to university councils are:
- Oversight of student housing
- Development of recommendations for the university's presidency should that position become vacant
- Review proposed university budget plans
Our meetings are designed to provide council members with current information about the university so they can advise the president with full confidence.